JOB DESCRIPTION: Residential Child-Care Worker
- To provide a residential child-care service to the young people placed at Cornerways, and to their families within the statutory requirements of the Sponsoring Authority.
- In as far as it is possible, to provide a home with the emotional, material and educational support required to ensure that the full potential of the young people placed at Cornerways is attained, given their previous experiences.
- To provide a therapeutic environment, where the young people placed at Cornerways can feel safe and cared for, whilst coming to terms with their previous and often damaging life experiences.
- To ensure that the welfare of the young people is the paramount consideration in the provision of the service, and to be prepared to be the advocate, comforter, or witness if so required by any of those young people.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To understand the mission, aims, value, ethos and work to the basic principles of Cornerways as set out in the statements of purpose.
- To be part of a professional team providing the care and control of the residential group of young People living in the Cornerways Homes.
- To liaise and communicate with your senior colleagues or be responsible for the overall day to day running of the shift, when designated the responsibility of leading shift.
- To be prepared to work duties, sometimes at short notice, that ensure adequate cover of all establishments, and which will require sleeping-in duties, public holiday and weekend working.
- To assume the role of linkworker to some of those young people placed at Cornerways.
- To work in partnership with other colleagues on the staff team.
- To be responsible for keeping all necessary written reports both general and in relation to the young people.
- To attend court and to give evidence if required.
- To manage, budget and record all monies spent in the name of Cornerways.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Ability work as part of a team
- Basic understanding of the legal framework applying to residential childcare
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries at all times
- Ability to build constructive, caring, nurturing relationships with young people with complex needs
- Good standard of basic education and the ability to learn and translate theory into practice
- Desire to achieve the very best for the young people in your care
- Desire to enhance and develop personal skills to achieve high standard of care in Cornerways
- Must hold a full clean driving licence and be willing and able to drive short and long distances on all road types.
- Ability to work therapeutically in accordance with the services therapeutic care approach including ability to 'look beyond behaviour' , to provide nurturing care and to understand the impact of self on others .
- Ability to work shifts which include sleep in shifts , evenings , weekend (sat and Sun) and bank holiday working, on a flexible rolling rota pattern , ( which may change to meet the needs of the service from time to time)and ability to work flexibly when needed outside of rotared hours to support the young people and service.
- NVQ Level 3 in childcare.